Some old photos, we don't get snow in the South Rhinns very often , but when we do its a show stopper
 This is a few years ago . Cows had to be fed and checked even though it took Mark 3 days sitting in the landy to get through finally.
Power was off across the whole area and the snow was sticky and shut all the mobile antennas down. Landlines to were down.
Some villages were shut off for at least 5 days and the RNLI had to rescue people from outlying bays and get them to Portpatrick.
We were lucky. We had a rayburn and plenty of
wood.
My parents rayburn got blocked with snow and the fire decided to visit the kitchen. They did get it out with help from there friend John their neighbour.
i thought they would be ok and hadnt got to them for a couple of days.
What a sight they were all covered in soot, hair standing on end.
A massive hunt went on for sheep trapped in snowbanks and most were found alive and had lambed .It being the end of march when we got all this.
Hope everybodys generators are ready cos we are due another winter like that one .
I would like to say it was fun, but it wasn't . I spent most of the time worried sick about Mark out in it with no communication.. and worried about my family and neighbours..Trying to keep the house warm enough that the pipes wouldn't freeze and trying to get up and down my drive which as a very steep hill , turned into a ski slope
The cows were all fine. One had calved  and being a good mum she had spent the whole time standing over it to keep the snow off her little newborn.

Comments

  1. I will never forget walking to my parents as my car got stuck in snow. Hoping that.my dad and his 4x4 car would pull me out of trouble. To be greeted by my dad completely covered in soot and standing there with a whisky. Suddenly my troubles where very trivial and dad couldn't drive anyway. So I just said "it's alright dad u go and sit down I will go and ask John for help". And he slowly closed the door. .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep definate WTF moment when i walked in.Dad and mum couldn't even have a shower for days as there was no power. There was me thinking they would be alright and i didn 't need to go check. Ha

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#seasthefuture Scotlands International Marine conference

nearly in